Assistant or Associate Professor, Digital and Social Media, University of Arkansas
Announcement – Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
Job Title: Assistant or Associate Professor, Digital and Social Media Advertising and/or Public Relations
Department/School: School of Journalism and Strategic Media
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Start date: August 14, 2023
Position Summary: Digital and Social Media Advertising and/or Public Relations Assistant or Associate Professor:
The School of Journalism and Strategic Media in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Arkansas, invites applications for a tenure-track assistant or associate professor in digital and social media advertising and/or public relations to start in August 2023.
The successful candidate must maintain a program of national refereed scholarship, be or demonstrate the potential to be an effective teacher who engages students in the classroom, have professional experience in advertising, public relations, or a relevant field, exhibit a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and engage collegially in national, university and School service. The successful candidate has a 2/2 teaching load. This is a standard, nine-month, tenure-track position at the assistant or associate professor rank. Hiring rank depends on qualifications.
The School of Journalism and Strategic Media is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and media discourse. The School is nationally accredited by the ACEJMC or the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Our faculty members are accomplished professionals in their fields who are actively engaged in scholarship. For more information visit https://journalism.uark.edu
Duties will include:
- The position includes 40% research, 40% teaching and 20% service for the 9-month appointment.
With submitted materials, the candidate must demonstrate
- A Ph.D. in Advertising, Public Relations or a related field from an accredited institution of higher education. ABD applicants with exceptional research, teaching and professional experience will be considered with the expectation that the Ph.D. will be conferred by the first day of appointment.
- Demonstration of and a commitment to maintaining a program of national refereed scholarship or evidence of future potential for maintaining a program of national refereed scholarship in advertising, public relations or a related field relevant to the position. This includes publishing in national refereed journals, making national refereed presentations, and participating in appropriate national research activities in advertising, public relations, or a relevant field.
- The ability to teach one or more required courses in the School’s ADPR major as well as digital and social media advertising and public relations courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. Teaching should include both the theoretical understanding of advertising and public relations as well as practical experience and skills in advertising and public relations courses in the School and across multiple digital and social media platforms. Required courses for the ADPR major are Advertising Principles, Public Relations Principles, Public Relations Writing, Creative Strategy and Execution, Media Planning and Strategy, and Account Planning.
- Experience in—or the potential for—building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment in teaching, mentoring, research, life experiences, or service
- At least one year of professional, research or relevant experience in digital and social media advertising and public relations including persuasive content strategy, development and publication; digital and social analytics; and other relevant experience in advertising or public relations.
- The ability to mentor undergraduate, honors, and graduate students, including serving on or directing thesis committees and senior papers as well as other related duties.
- Previous university teaching experience in advertising, public relations, digital and social media advertising and public relations or a relevant field
- Two or more years of professional, research or relevant experience in digital and social media advertising or public relations including persuasive content strategy, development and publication; digital and social analytics; and other relevant experience in advertising or public relations
- The ability to be an active, involved, and collegial member of a collaborative faculty team, The School of Journalism and Strategic Media, the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, the University of Arkansas, and relevant national service organizations
Completed applications received by 11/25/2022, will be assured full consideration. Late applications will be reviewed as necessary to fill the position.
For additional inquiries, please contact the search committee chair, Dr. Jee Young Chung, at email@example.com.
For a complete position announcement and information regarding how to apply, visit https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UASYS/job/Assistant-or-Associate-Professor–Digital-and-Social-Media-Advertising-and-or-Public-Relations_R0025231.
Applicants must submit: 1) a letter of interest (demonstrating how your strengths match the duties and qualifications listed above), 2) a complete curriculum vitae, 3) a diversity statement, which may include evidence of previous activities to promote and maintain diversity, equity, and inclusion, 4) an example of scholarship such as a published or presented article or a draft of an article, 5) a statement of teaching philosophy, which may include evidence of teaching effectiveness (not to exceed three pages), and 6) the names, titles, addresses, and contact information of three references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Annual Salary/Benefits Package: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
The University of Arkansas: Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Fulbright College: The Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences is the largest and most academically diverse unit on campus with 3 schools, 16 departments, and 43 academic programs and research centers. The University of Arkansas is committed to providing an educational and work environment in which thought, creativity, and growth are stimulated, and in which individuals are free to realize their full potential. The Fulbright promotes these ideals and welcomes applicants who foster an inclusive environment through an open exchange of voices and ideas from populations of diverse backgrounds.
The Community: Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, and is known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country’s finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked as one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation’s best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus. For more information, visit: https://diversitynwa.com/
The University of Arkansas is an Affirmative Action/EOE institution committed to achieving diversity in its faculty and staff. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, especially individuals who contribute to diversity of our campus community. The university welcomes applications without regard to race/color, sex, gender, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.