Journal of Contemporary Asia: Call for Managing Editor
About the role
Journal of Contemporary Eastern Asia (JCEA) is seeking Managing Editor(s) to work under the direction of the Editor-in-chief, Dr. Han Woo Park (YeungNam University), and in collaboration with the other Associate Editors to shape the content of the journal.
About the journal
Journal of Contemporary Eastern Asia (ISSN 2383-9449) is a refereed biannual journal that takes a lead on a new scholarship in Asia. Currently indexed in Elsevier’s SCOPUS, EBSCO, and DOAJ. In the past, the JCEA was dedicated to the study of current political, social and economic trends in East and Southeast Asia. But now, the JCEA finds unique aspects of Asian scholarship by expanding its scope to (socio-technical) convergence and future (network) studies. The JCEA editors are working very hard to boost the scholarly presence of new Asian scholarship around the world and secure its reputation as an emerging world-class publishing outlet. The editors welcome manuscripts based on original research or significant reexamination of existing literature. Articles are published online, and all peer review processes are administered through the journal’s online submission system. In the future, we are considering leveling up to the Web of Science-indexed journals.
Tasks of the Managing Editor position
To function as the Managing Editor of the biannual, open access, peer-reviewed scientific journal.
To work with the Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editors in developing the scheduling, content, and structure of the journal
To be the primary copy editor for the journal by overseeing its production from the point of manuscript submission through the publishing of final manuscripts.
To successfully conduct the journal editing and proofreading with the Assistant Managing Editor.
To maintain manuscript inventory.
To communicate with authors, potential authors, and the editorial team members when they have inquiries. To oversee the review process and editorial decisions handled by Associate Editors. To ensure accurate metadata production for each published paper (familiarity with SCOPUS, DOAJ, etc.).
To host a monthly online meeting for coordinating work of globally dispersed editorial team members.
The Managing Editor is expected to spend around 5 hours a week getting the job done. It may take more or less to work at times.
The Managing Editor position is unremunerated. However, the Managing Editor’s APC (Article Processing Charge) will be waived for four years when/if the journal charges an APC or introduces any administrative costs in the future. (Currently the journal does not charge APC, but we anticipate an APC in the near future.)
The term of the position is February 2021 to February 2023 (two years). The position could be extended afterwards if the managing editor and Editor-in-chief agree on that.
1. Broad knowledge in Asian regions
2. Korean language (preferred, not required)
3. Basic understanding of scholarly publishing, including the peer review process and its ethical dimensions, citation and referencing practices.
Qualifications and other requirements:
1. Proficiency in English is required.
2. ABD in any field of study.
3. Demonstrated ability to assign submitted manuscripts to Associate Editors in their fields. This process is done under the guidance of the Editor-in-chief.
4. Commitment to and understanding of codes of ethics relevant to academic research and publishing, and familiarity with the requirements of the single-blind peer review process.
5. Demonstrated ability to work professionally and meet deadlines.
6. Willingness to work closely and cooperatively with the Editor-in-chief, Managing Editors, Associate Editors, Editorial Board members and, as needed, KISTI (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, the website host) administrative and production staff.
Submitting your Application
To apply, you will be asked to submit:
– A brief cover letter stating your motivations for the position.
The deadline is 25 January 2021 at midnight (KST).
The applications should be submitted to the Associate Editor (Search Committee Chair), Dr. Sejung Park at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions concerning this call can be addressed to the current Managing Editor, Dr. Natalia Novikova at email@example.com.