NCA Report 2008
NCA Report November 20 – 24 2008 San Diego, CA
In 2008 NCA, KACA hosted KACA research panel session, a special panel session for students, and KACA reception. Five papers were presented in the KACA research panel session:
- The Construction and Consumption of National Images: The Ambivalence of South Korean Soccer Fans as the Public or the Consumers Taesik Kim (University of Oklahoma)
- How Does News Media Frame Organizational Crisis Response? Selective Bias of Crisis News Coverage in South Korea Political Crisis Seon-Kyoung An (University of Alabama), Seung Ho Cho (Mississippi State University)
- Exploring Communication Competence and Psychological Adaptation Yang-Soo Kim (Middle Tenn State Univ)
- Perception of ‘Speaking Well’ Among College Students in Korea Eun-Ho Yeo (Plymouth State University), Kyung-Woo Park (Dong-A University, Korea)
- Translating the Foreign: How Contemporary South and North Korea Received, Transformed, and Accommodated Foreign Language, Culture, and Modernity JongHwa Lee, Loyola Marymount Univ
- Dr. Jung-Soo Yi, Wright State University, chaired the session. Dr. Yi offered thoughtful and detailed comments for each paper as a respondent.
- KACA organized a special panel for mainly graduate students, titled “The Arts of Teaching and Research in America.” Three scholars who represented different areas of communication research shared their experiences in teaching and research communication phenomena. Presenters were Dr. Eun-Ho Yeo, Plymouth State University, Dr. Hye-Jin Paek, Michigan State University, and Dr. Sook-Young Lee,(Luther College.
- KACA reception was held at a Korean restaurant in Northern San Diego. More than 30 students and faculty members attended. In the reception, KACA members had a special time to remember late Dr. Seung H. Lee, who was one of the founding fathers of KACA and passed away at November 15, 2008. Dr. Kyu Ho Youm at University of Oregon and Dr. Dong-Hyun Byun of Sogang University shared their memories of late Dr. Lee.