The Korean American Communication Association is an organization dedicated to serving the academic and social needs of Korean communication scholars and students in North America.
The Korean American Communication Association 501(c)(3) has been facilitating academic and social exchange among Korean communication scholars and students in North America and beyond. We welcome all researchers who share an interest in exchanging information and conduct research in communication focusing on topics related to Korea, Korean-Americans, and the Asian culture.
- To encourage and facilitate exchange of professional knowledge in various fields of communication.
- To encourage and facilitate cooperation among members in exchanging professional information and conducting research in communication, especially focusing on subjects related to Korea and Korean-Americans.
- To facilitate academic and social exchange of communication scholars between North America and Korea.
- To facilitate professional cooperation with other associations of Korean scholars or professionals in North America.
- To facilitate social exchange among members.
- Founded in 1978
- Held the first official program at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication in
- Held the first official program at the International Communication Association in 1985
- Held the first official program at the National Communication Association in 1996
- Became a nonprofit organization, tax-exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) in 2014
- Approximately 550 members worldwide
Activities of the Association:
- Organizing academic conferences or seminars.
- Giving awards to best papers in each conference.
- Publishing biannual newsletter.
- Collaborating with other related associations of Korean scholars or professionals in North America.
- Supporting communication research related to Korea, Korea-U.S. relations or Korean-Americans.
- Networking with professionals in communication field.
National and International Conferences:
As an affiliated association of the following three major academic associations in the field of communication, KACA has been holding panel sessions and research paper sessions at annual conferences of these communication associations for more than 20 years.
- International Communication Association
- National Communication Association
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
Reports for each conference can be accessed via the KACA’s website.
KACA Advisory Board
- Dr. Seok Kang (Associate Professor, University of Texas, San Antonio)
- Dr. Sei-Hill Kim (Eleanor M. & R. Frank Mundy Professor, University of South Carolina)
- Dr. Nojin Kwak (Professor, University of Michigan)
- Dr. Hye-‐ryeon Lee (Professor, University of Hawaii, Manoa)
- Dr. Seungahn Nah (Professor and Associate Dean for Grad Affairs & Research, University of Oregon)
- Dr. Kyu Ho Youm (Jonathan Marshall First Amendment Chair & Professor, University of Oregon)
KACA Officers (2017-‐2019)
- President – Dr. Eyun-Jung Ki (Professor, University of Alabama)
- Vice President (AEJMC) – Dr. Gi Woong Yun (Associate Professor, University of Nevada, Reno)
- Vice President (ICA) – Dr. Chang Wan “Isaac” Woo (Associate Professor, James Madison University)
- Vice President (NCA) – Dr. Eun-Ho Yeo (Associate Professor, Plymouth State University)
- Secretary – Dr. Yoonmo Sang (Assistant Professor, Howard University)
- Treasurer – Dr. Jiyoung Cha (Assistant Professor, San Francisco State University)
- Newsletter Editor – Dr. Soomin Seo (Assistant Professor, Temple University)
- Web Master – Dr. Nakho Kim (Assistant Professor, Penn State University, Harrisburg)
- Student Council – Ah Ram Lee (University of Florida), Bumsoo Kim (University of Alabama), Jeeyun (Sophia) Baik (University of Southern California) & Jeyoung Oh (University of Alabama)
Staying in Touch